Monday, December 14, 2009

Think You’re Living Space is Small and Cramped?

Think you’re living space is small, feeling a little cramped like a sardine in a tin can or squeezed into a cardboard box? You just may have it a lot better living in a mansion compared to these people

cramped_woman-in-box  Warning, Not for claustrophobe's!

I suppose “city living” is for those not so attached to personal possessions either. I don’t know about you but I for one couldn’t live in the city just because I have so much “stuff”, little things that would break the bank to keep if living in NYC like… a car, automotive tools, ladders and other large tools, all my furniture, my atv and motorcycle, a snow blower, all my electronics toys a pool and so on.

Granted if living in the city some of these items would not be needed like the snow blower, a ladder and so on but I like my stuff, I like having a yard and I like having my space. Sure, city living has it’s advantages but if you examine them they are more beneficial for either older folks (if it weren’t for the cost) or the young party crowd,  I’d say the city favors them a bit more. I can’t see any advantage to living in the city other than there is a store outside your front door, you live blocks from bars, clubs and entertainment and….um… yeah, that’s about it.

The point of my rambling here is actually an amusing one, check out how this couple lives, personally I think their nutz paying $150,000 to buy this place plus pay a $700 monthly maintenance fee.

That being said, I’d like to introduce you to New York City’s Smallest Apartment - $150K for 175 Sq Ft., yes you heard that right, my dining room is about that size!

I can understand staying in the city one or two nights a week
hobnobbing in the neighborhood, networking, promoting one’s self and business or for entertainment purposes but to live like this is just a bit strange in my book.

I’m not claustrophobic or anything but imaging this apartment would not be a safe place for those who are to live. I would go absolutely crazy having to live in such cramped quarters alone forget about with another person and two cats! Oh, they also need to take an elevator and then the stairs to get to nicely tucked away apartment. I would be afraid of fire in this building seeing that it’s hard enough to get to under normal conditions.

Not many couples could live in complete harmony in a space the New York Post calls the “smallest apartment in the city,” but Zaarath and Christopher Prokop — plus their two cats — live in a 175-square-foot “microstudio” in Manhattan’s Morningside Heights.

Purchased for $150,000 three months ago, the co-op is 14.9 feet long and 10 feet wide and is on the 16th floor of a building on 110th Street, but, get this — it’s only accessible by a staircase from the 15th floor.

The couple has:

  • a queen-size bed (about 1/3 of their living space)
  • mini-fridge and hot plate (they don’t eat in very often)
  • one kitchen appliance (a cappuccino maker)
  • closet-sized bathroom with shower with sink and toilet (no long, luxurious baths here)
  • kitchen cabinets that are used for their clothing (they don’t eat here, remember?)

With a space this small, they jog to work, picking up their clothes along the way at various dry cleaners around the city and some clothes are kept in their offices.

Curbed figures they spent about $857 per square foot in one of the priciest cities in the world. The Zillow Home Value for Morningside is $641,600 and the median value per sq ft for Morningside is $726.

The Prokops plan to pay off their mortgage in two years and then plan to remodel by installing a Murphy bed and larger windows. Their only cost at that point will be a maintenance fee of $700 a month.

Reference Source: Read the full story and see the comments of others on zillow.com

If you agree with me or not on what living comfort means, that’s a personal choice and either way our agent’s would love to help you find your mansion or tiny love nest to call home.

No matter where in the country or the world you’d like to live, call us and we will either personally assist you or match you up with an experienced agent in your area that would be happy to assist in your search, obtain financing, etc.


www.MarivicRealty.com

2056A Lincoln Highway
Edison, NJ 08817-3330
Office: 732-650-9911
Toll Free: 1-866-745-4622

Located Across from The Pines Manor & Crowne Plaza Hotel in the Nixon Plaza Shopping Center where the Labonbonniere Bake Shoppe

Click here for Door to Door Directions

No comments: